Database Access Security Mechanism
u 4C-TV's Database Access Security mechanism provides finer control of the records each user is allowed to see or change.
u The parameters that control the Database Access Security are set in two places:
- the Database Access Configuration screen activates database filters globally for the whole database and individually for each table and Security Level.
- the User Profile indicates the users Security Attributes and is used to create the User Access List (ACL), which list the values at each Security Level the user is given access permission.
u Whenever the user executes a query in the database, the list of records found is filtered according to the users ACL and the Database Access settings. ONLY records the user is given access permission will be retrieved and displayed.
- That will happen even if the user selects ALL records, uses a SET created by someone else, queries via related tables, etc
u Records displayed within another record window are NOT filtered. For example, the Program Information window displays a list of all available Program Copies. The Program Copies list is NOT filtered and will display ALL related Program Copy records, regardless of the users ACL.
- Nonetheless record changes will be restricted by the users ACL. The user will not be allowed to modify any record he does not have access permission.
u Ownership is a special Security Level used to control record update only. Record ownership is not used to filter records from user view, only to control updates to individual records.
- If the Ownership Security Level is activated for a table, only users owning the record can modify it.
- Individual record ownership is set by the user profile that creates it. Record changes will only be allowed from the SAME user profile.
- As users navigate among records, the record modify button will be enabled/disabled accordingly.
- Records already in the database have no ownership set and in that case the first user making ANY modification to a record will assume its ownership.