Query by Example
u Each 4C-TV Table has an associated Query by Example Dialog (aka Find Screen, QBE), which presents fields and options specific to the table. The QBE fields and options allows users to make the most commom queries to the database, providing access to a more complete database query as well.
u Typical objects found in a QBE screen:
- Fields : any value indicated here will be used to search for records with matching data in the corresponding field (except for House Number, only the initial letters of any text field are required).
- Options : special options and criteria used to search for matching records
u Some fields are associated to a list of predefined values. Entry into those fields is done via a drop down list. Items from the drop down list can be selected by a mouse click, using the up/down arrows or by typing the initial letters of any item.
- For those fields where the associated popup list is not exclusive, that is, users may have different values in the corresponding field, the system will allow typing into the field or selecting from the drop down list.
u When Multiple Fields or Multiple Criteria are indicated on a Query by Example, they are combined as if connected by an "AND" conjunction. In other words, 4C-TV will search the database for records matching ALL the indicated criteria.
u The Special popup menu brings additional search actions:
- All Records : selects all records in the coresponding file (table).
- Search : brings up the Advanced Query screen
- Search in Set : applies the search criteria to the current record selection, narrowing down the selection
- New Record : enabled on special situations, allows the user to add new records to the database
- Use Set : brings up a Set selection screen and the selected Set will be used as the QBE result.